When I started cooking I realised that Jeera or Cumin is a magic spice. It has a wonderful aroma and renders a marvelous flavor when cooked with veggies or rice. Jeera rice has been my favorite, simple yet tasty and easy to cook complement to any side dish, be it rajma, choley, veggies or non veg.
This dish is even more delicious when cooked with ghee, bay leaves and whole garam masala, but often to keep it healthy and stomach-friendly I end up using oil with little butter and omit garam masala. That way I can have it quite frequently without straining my digestive system too much! Also, I always use a pressure cooker to make any rice recipe for my convenience, however I have seen many people using saucepan. Anything that is convenient and comfortable can be used.
- Oil / ghee / butter – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera – 1-1.5 tsp
- Basmati rice (Though this variety of rice adds on to the flavor you can use any other rice too) – 1 cup
- Bay leaves – 1
- Whole Garam Masala-
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Green cardamom – 2-3
- Cloves – 2-3
- Cinnamon (one inch stick) – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 2 cups (Water is always added twice the amount of rice if cooked in pressure cooker)
- Wash and soak rice in water for 15-20 mins and then drain.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee / butter / oil and add bay leaves and the whole garam masala. Stir well.
- Add the cumin seeds. As its sizzles and changes color add rice to it. Mix well for a minute or two so that oil is evenly coated on the grains.
- Add water and salt and let it pressure cook. Serve hot.