I am feeling pretty lazy today and just could not think of what to cook. It is a real difficult choice that I need to make everyday. I am sure that is the same way with most of us. But lets see I can push myself to make some easy vegetable dish. Back in India, it is a tradition to buy fresh vegetables every other day, but out here we generally stuff our refrigerator with frozen food (though we occasionally do buy whole vegetables too). Such things make life pretty easy for me on a day like today. This dish can be made with any cut vegetables that suits oneself. My packet here contains cauliflower florets, carrots, kidney beans, broccoli, peas, beans, mushrooms etc. Time to get started…
- Mixed vegetables (cut in small pieces) – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion, sliced – 1 medium
- Bell Pepper (cut in small cubes) – 1/2
- Green chillies (slit) – 1 or 2 (to taste)
- Garlic (chopped) – 2 cloves
- Salt – to taste
- Oil or butter – 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice or Vinegar – 2-3 drops
- Seasoning agent (optional)
- Chopped peanuts – for garnishing (optional)
- Boil the vegetables till they are half-cooked
- Heat oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add onions and fry them till they change color and become translucent. (Do not brown them.)
- Add chopped garlic cloves, pepper, green chillies, salt and mix well.
- Add the vegetables and stir dry them.
- Cover and cook medium heat till the vegetables are completely cooked. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid getting burnt. In case it dries up, sprinkle a few drops of water.
- Once done, sprinkle pepper powder and lime juice or vinegar and add the seasoning agent (if desirable).
- Mix well and let it cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts (if desirable).