Life has been pretty busy these days… either that or I have been in my perennial state of laziness. I am yet to decide which has been the cause for the infrequent visits to my blog, whichever has been the case my readers deserve to know that I tend to disappear once in a while like this. Though I come back pretty soon, well recharged and hopefully with some more recipes.
Talking of laziness reminds me of Subways 🙂 . Days when we (includes BBC as well) don’t feel like cooking, or we are on a trip and don’t have much time for a proper meal, Subway turns out to be my/our favorite. At walking distance from home, easily available at almost all places, Subway foot-long is very much affordable, yummy and filling. Be it the Italian bread with tuna salad and honey mustard or chicken teriyaki, I am always nodding a yes for Subway. So while I was longing for a foot-long in one of these lazy afternoon, I decided to make a proper chicken sandwich at home with our new purchases. We had bought the Ranch dressing for our salads and cheese the other day, something which we rarely do, and I wanted to put it into use. So here comes my attempt to make a Subway-like sandwich ‘minus’ the Italian bread (which is Subway special), ‘minus’ the honey mustard sauce and ‘minus’ almost everything that Subway uses, since I do not have so many ingredients at home. Never mind, after all we both loved it and I hope you do too!
- Plain white bread – 4 slices (2 slice for one sandwich. Can use any other variety of bread)
- Cheese, shredded or grated – 1-2 tbsp (as desired)
- Green capsicum, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Onions, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Cucumber, finely chopped – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Tomatoes, finely chopped – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Green chillies, finely chopped – to taste
- Boneless Skinless Chicken breast – 1
- Ranch Dressing – 3-4 tbsp or as required
- Lettuce, chopped – 1 leaf (optional)
- Tomato ketchup – as desired
- Mustard sauce – as desired
- Wash the chicken breast, cut into small pieces and boil it in a pressure cooker till 4-5 whistles so that it is completely cooked. Let it cool. If you have Grilled chicken strips, that works best for this recipe.
- Grind the boiled chicken pieces (once cooled) or the grilled chicken strips (once thawed).
- Add chopped capsicum, onion, chillies, and the Ranch dressing to the ground chicken. Mix well.
- Spread the shredded or grated cheese on the bread slices and warm it in a microwave or oven. Keep aside some of the cheese for garnishing.
- Take out the bread slices and on the side where the cheese has melted evenly spread the chicken mixture on one slice of each of the sandwiches.
- Add the chopped cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce on top of it.
- Garnish with Mustard sauce, Tomato ketchup and cheese.
- Top it with the other slice, with the plain side on top and serve.
You can prepare the chicken mixture before hand and refrigerate it. While making the sandwich. add all the ingredients as described above to the bread and then grill it before serving.