After what seems like almost a year, I am trying to get back to my blog with some simple recipes that I have been thinking of putting down from very long. Starting with a simple and quick dish of oven-roasted vegetables which can be served as a side with simple bread and soup, or rice/chapati and dal or also used as starters. You can use any vegetable of your choice, but for this post am using cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, onions, capsicum and a handful of peas. Thankfully all these take up almost the same time to roast so I toss all of them together into the oven, however if you have a large number of veggies or of varying cooking times you can roast them in separate dishes for separate timings. Seasonings vary from using only salt and pepper to any spice of your choice.
- Cauliflower cut into small florets – 1 cup
- Broccoli cut into small florets – 1/2 head
- Potatoes – 1 medium-sized, peeled and cubed
- Carrots – 1, cut into thick circular pieces
- Onions – 1 small, cut into long thin strips or into small cubes (whichever is preferred)
- Capsicum – 1 small or less, cut into long thin strips or into small cubes (whichever is preferred)
- Peas – handful
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Red Chilli powder or slit green chillies – to taste (optional)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Garam Masala powder (optional)
- Chaat Masala (optional)
- Olive oil or cooking oil or cooking spray or molten butter
- Lime juice – for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line the baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it lightly with some oil/butter
- Drizzle oil / butter on the vegetables and season them mainly with salt, pepper and any or all of the other spices. Mix well and keep aside for 5-10 minutes preferably. I usually do not roast the onions and capsicum with the vegetables, Instead I lightly toss them later with little oil / butter.
- Spread the spiced vegetables evenly on the baking tray, try to use a big baking tray so as to avoid overlapping.
- Roast for approx. 20 mins. (time may vary from oven to oven). Once done
- Heat a pan and drizzle a few drops of oil/butter. Toss the onions and capsicum with little salt and pepper (if not roasting them).
- Mix the roasted vegetables, toss well and sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Garnish with freshly squeezed lime juice and serve hot.
It is best to serve this dish fresh so that you can enjoy the crunchiness of the roasted veggies.