I woke up last Saturday morning dreaming of food. A rare dream I must say since I do not – NEVER – dream of food. My dreams are usually adventurous ones.. or maybe romantic ones. But never food. So I am not sure whether it was a dream at all or not. It was 8:00 in the morning and that was pretty early for me considering our weekend standards. So I just grabbed my iPAD under the blanket trying not to wake up the sleepy-head next to me. I did not need to search long for the recipe. I knew what I wanted for breakfast, an elaborate one it would be.
The other day I had been checking the BBCGoodFood app on Google chrome and there it was on the featured recipe of the day – baked eggs with spinach and tomato. A quick glance ensured all the usual ingredients and nothing fancy about the process. So I decided to go for it and surprise Mr. B with an early breakfast.
All ingredients were pretty handy and in no time I was put the pan in the oven. It felt so good to bake that early. Usually weekends are very relaxed with late breakfast and an even later lunch. It felt good to break the norm once in a while. Mr. B being a foodie that he is – and a person who can guess all ingredients of a dish just by the smell of it – could no longer remain in bed without knowing what was cooking in the kitchen. Needless to say we had a nice start to the day with toast, baked eggs with spinach and tomatoes, fruits and a cup of tea. Thanks to BBCGoodFood for the wonderful recipe. I just added a couple more things to it to give it my touch.
- Spinach – 100 gms
- Tomatoes – 2-3 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Oil / Olive oil / Butter – to grease the pan
- Garlic cloves – 2, finely chopped or crushed
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper powder – to taste
- Red Chilli Flakes – to taste
- Eggs – 4 (I used only 3)
- Shredded or grated Cheese (optional) – I used Shredded Mozzarella – Adjust amount to your preference
- Milk / Cream (optional) – 1/2 cup approx (reduce the amount if you want to)
- Any other seasoning (optional) – could be oregano or basil. I used a store-bought Italian seasoning
You can either use one oven proof baking pan or container, or you can use two medium containers or four small containers or ramekins for this. Divide the ingredients and the eggs accordingly. I used the only available 9×9 baking dish (you can use a smaller size too) so I put all the ingredients in the same pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Blanch the spinach first. This is how you do it – Boil water in a saucepan, add spinach to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain out the spinach in a colander and wash it under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and keep aside. Alternatively you can also put the spinach in a colander and pour hot boiling water on the leaves. Squeeze out the excess water and keep aside.
- Grease the baking dish with butter or olive oil or cooking oil.
- Place the blanched spinach as a first layer.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes to form the second layer.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, chopped garlic and some cheese.
- Break the eggs (see the note below) on top of the spinach tomato layer. I used all four in one pan placing each egg on each corner of the dish. If using two containers, put two eggs in each of them; if using 4 break 1 egg in each.
- Add cream or milk (optional), top it off with some chilli flakes, some more cheese and any other seasoning of your choice.
- Bake it for about 15 – 20 minutes (mine took 18 minutes) till the eggs are cooked. Note: The baking time varies from oven to oven and how well cooked you prefer your eggs to be.
- Serve it immediately with some bread toast.
- Do not beat the eggs. Break them directly on to the baking dish.
- Except adding the eggs you can prepare everything before hand and keep it sealed in the fridge the night before. Next day just add the eggs, top it with some cheese and bake it. This works great if you are in a hurry.