For those who love eggplant/brinjal/baingan – here is a recipe that is quick, easy and tingles your taste buds. BUT, if you are oil conscious this may not be the best one. Eggplant when cooked consumes/absorbs oil like a sponge, in fact that is precisely what makes the eggplant so yummy. When I first started making this dish, though my husband would love the flavors, it would make me feel very guilty. So I attempted to bake the eggplant instead, before preparing it this way. I would not say it did not work, but it surely was not as tasty as frying it in oil would have made. Now whenever I make this preparation I alternate between frying the eggplant and baking it. Also, the way I make it, its little sweet in taste – that is how most bengalis prefer it, but you can also exclude the sugar or adjust it accordingly. So have a go at it and try this as per your taste!
- Eggplant/Brinjal/Baingan, cut in round pieces – 1
- Onion, sliced – 1 medium
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Green chillies, slit – 2 or to taste
- Ginger chopped or paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic chopped or paste – 3-4 cloves
- Red chilli powder – to taste (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – to taste (optional)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash the egg-plant, cut it in round slices and soak in water with little salt and turmeric. Keep aside for few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Take few pieces of eggplant, dry them by blotting with kitchen towel. Fry for 2 minutes or until the pieces are light brown in color. Remove and place them on a paper towel.
- Repeat until all pieces of eggplant are done.
- In the same pan (remove excess oil from the pan, if any to an amount enough for frying the onions.) fry the onions slices till they are well browned.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Saute for few minutes and mix well.
- Add the fried egg-plant slices and mix well.
- With the spoon or ladle mash the egg plants very lightly. (Do not mash completely).
- Add tomato and salt and mix well.
- If desired add tomato sauce and sugar to taste.