Most of you must have been wondering why I was not blogging all this while … well I was vacationing!!! Now I am back, feeling very relaxed, refreshed and happy. Had gone to New Jersey to a friend’s place from where we went to Baltimore and DC. Though my vacation lasted for 4 days I took few days before and after it to prepare for the trip and get over the hangover and longing for more such days. Since we got our car, life seems to be so FULL! As far as my trip goes, it was awesome. Visiting the capital of this country was something I had been thinking about since I read Dan Brown’s latest novel – ‘The Lost Symbol’. The book revealed the capital of one of the most developed nations of the world to have profound historical architecture with such philosophical significance, that I had to visit it!
Coming back to the regular life and back to my journal. A comfort food for today – Dal Makhani or Kali Dal. Goes well with plain rice or roti.
- Whole black gram (sabut urad dal) – 1/2 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) – 2 tablespoons
- Onion , chopped – 1 large
- Green chillies, slit – 2
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2 medium
- Ginger, chopped or paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic, chopped or paste – 6 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Mango powder / Amchur – 1/2 tsp
- Whipped cream – 3 tbsp (optional, may also substitute with milk)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp (may reduce the amount also)
- Wash well and soak the Dal and Kidney Beans (Rajma) overnight in the 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook dal and rajma in three cups of water with salt and half the red chilli powder (add half the ginger if desired) for 3-4 whistles and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Open the lid and see if the dal and rajma is soft and cooked well. If not cook on low heat till they become soft.
- Heat Oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once they start sizzling add ginger, garlic and onion and saute till golden.
- Add slit green chillies, tomatoes and saute on high heat.
- Add the remaining red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and saute till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma along with the water and mix well. Add some water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add whipped cream or milk and mix well and let it cook for a 5 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder, amchur, butter and adjust salt.
- Simmer on low heat for a while till the dal is totally soft and well blended.