I was thinking a lot about you for the past few days… something that I have fleetingly done over the last two and half years. And yet I could not gather the courage to face you. Not because I did not want to, but because confronting you would mean committing to you, for good and for worse. And I was not sure of that yet. I would have to steal moments here and there… moments that might be rare but would be my very own, just like before. I would have to lie awake late at nights, dark, lit by the light from my computer screen just to be with you. And yet here you are right infront of me, a teeny-weeny but important part of my life that I can no longer ignore. A part that always brought me happiness and content. And as I turned towards you, I realized it was our anniversary too… our seven years anniversary. Strange how time passes by, it feels just like yesterday that we got started. I have not done as much as I would have liked to and that may not change. But I am ready, ready to give you all that I can. I have realized that to get started again there may never be a good time like now. And now is all that matters…
So let me begin by telling you that a lot has happened while you were away… I have changed houses, moved places, different country, new faces, new language, climate, food but most important of all – a lil new person of my own. Ok, not new anymore , he is already a year and half old, keeps me on my toes, running and sprinting after him. Life is full of smiles and laughter and funny faces; Life has a whole new set of worries, anxieties and pressures. I can talk about it the whole day and it would not be enough. But that’s not why I am here. Lets talk about us and why I am here…”
My first post after this long a gap (already feeling refreshed and good to be back) is a nice and cool drink to combat this hot weather and get some good vitamins into your system. A fruit milkshake – I used chilled ripe papaya and some cold milk with a dash of vanilla and some ice cubes. You can also add some chunks of banana to give it a creamier texture but I skipped that. All you need is a blender and you will be all set. Use any fruit of your liking, just browse on the internet what combinations of fruits work best and you can come up with so many healthy variations.
Ingredients: All proportions are as per liking.
- Papaya – cooled and cubed – 1 cup + some chopped pieces for garnishing
- Cold Milk – 1 cup
- Ice cubes – 2-3 (optional)
- A dash of vanilla
- Sugar or Honey – to taste (Optional, depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- Take all the ingredients (except ice) in a blender and blend nicely till pureed nicely.
- Add the ice cubes and blend once again.
- Serve immediately and garnish with some chopped fruit pieces.
Perfect to relax and beat the heat !
There is a slight nip in the air and the morning have started to become chilly. Which means that after a few days of a colorful fall it would be winter soon. Just a few days back it used to be broad daylight even at 8pm, and now it starts getting dark from 7. Where did summer go? When did it come in the first place? Why couldn’t there be an extended summer instead? Just thinking of the cold forlorn winter makes me feel gloomy. When I talk to my family back in India (specially in my hometown Kolkata where winter only lasts for a week or two) about such wishful thinking they just don’t understand why something as beautiful as a snowfall can be dreadful. They are almost envious of us that we don’t have to bear the scorching heat which bothers them all year long. Well, really I can’t even decide which is better – extreme heat or extreme cold. My only consolation are those winter days when the sun shines bright. And I tell myself that at least I could keep away the chill by layers of warm clothing while peeling away layers of clothing can still not be sufficient to face an extreme hot weather. So there, why am I complaining? In fact why am I even talking about weather? Isn’t it something that I do to fill the gaps in a conversation. This weather has really put me off in a bad mood. So I better shut up and quickly write away what I am here for.
As I lament the end of summer, this post today is to remind me of the good warm and bright days that I have had and also something to look forward to next season. A delicious mango smoothie with some added creaminess from the vanilla ice cream – this is what summer is all about. There is no fixed recipe or proportions for this, you may add the vanilla ice cream or skip it completely.
Ingredients: makes 2 glasses of mango smoothie
- Ripe Mango – 1 large, pitted/de-seeded and cut into small cubes.
- Vanilla Ice-cream – 1 scoop (adjust the proportion according to your choice)
- Milk – as required (adjust proportion according to the desired thickness of the smoothie)
- Sugar/Honey – to taste (I used honey instead of sugar but you can use either or both. Remember the proportion will have to adjust depending on the sweetness of the mangoes and the quantity/sweetness of the ice cream used.)
- Ice cubes – 2 or 3 (optional)
- Dry fruits – finely chopped almonds, pistachios or cashews – for garnishing
- Put everything in a blender / food processor and blend to a fine smoothie.
- Garnish with dry fruits and serve chilled.
After a long slumber I come back to life. Yes, it has been the longest and the coldest winter of my life and though I am still not recovered from seeing white expanse of snow all around, mostly it makes me feel dull and drab. The place where I live now, seasons have a way of making their distinctive presence known. Winter occupies most of the year with warmth seeping in for only a couple of months. And the weather definitely defines your mood of the day.
Its April now and Spring is here. My heart goes waltzing with the sun shining hot and the wind blowing cold. A wonderful day it is after months of knee deep snow, makes me want to celebrate life! Following the spring fever I present a simple delightful drink for the warm summer days.
With this, I declare that I intend to be more regular than I have been lately though I do not guarantee it. Hope you enjoy making this drink as much as I enjoyed.
- Apple – 1 medium sized
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
- Vanilla – 3/4th tsp (optional, used for flavor)
- Cut the apple into small pieces and put in a blender
- Add milk, vanilla and sugar to it and blend until smooth.
- For extra creamy froth you may use 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream or to taste.
- Serve immediately or blend once again before serving